Thursday 7 March 2013

Dimlight Psychosynthesis Review by Vera Luz


The first time I heard about Dimlight was before Metal Female Voices Fest X. To prepare myself for the festival, I started listening to some of the bands that were going to be playing there. I had never heard of most of them and I have to say that Dimlight was a most pleasant surprise!
    At the time they hadn't released their latest album, so I started with Obtenebration and it just sent me to a time and place that I'd almost forgotten. Since they were releasing their new album, Psychosynthesis on 20th October 2012, the second MFVF X day, I had the chance to listen some of their new material live for the first time, and as I was expecting, they didn't let me down!

Psychosynthesis is a strong, dark album. Dark lyrics, powerful guitars and drums with the addition of a beautiful touch of keyboards that remind you of the old days of Within Temptation, only with a darker atmosphere. Furthermore, it isn't an easy album for the ones who were used to Obetenebration since Sanna's voice is more powerful and raw so you have to learn to enjoy her new approach on vocals.
    Psychosynthesis is delivered in almost the same way as their previous album: it has a great start with a strong and powerful song called "Agonize" but somehow, that sense of power fades away a little bit and the songs that follow begin to feel the same as the last. And then, when you feel like giving up on them, they bring you Cardinal Sins! This song brings everything you can expect from a great gothic metal band: powerful vocals, strong guitars and great growls! I have to say that Invoker is delivering them MUCH BETTER now... not only on the album but live as well. From now on you just get hooked and can't stop listening to it because all the songs which follow give you that sense of a dark embracing atmosphere where you just want to close your eyes and feel it in your skin. Master of Our Fate, Sanna's favorite song, closes the album with a lesson: that only we are responsible for what we are to become in this life.
Overall, this is a well delivered gothic metal album that has that "je ne sais quoi" which most bands don't deliver anymore, and that is what makes Psychosynthesis special.

    Highlights: Cardinal Sins, Mind's Game and Master of Our Fate. 
    Website:
 http://www.dimlightband.net/

No comments: